Sunday, June 28, 2009

Happy Birthdays

We had a fabulous day on Saturday, despite Julie.

The PLAN was to have the family come up for Kayte and Justin's birthday's. Kayte had turned 16 on Wednesday... Justin's actual 17th birthday was on Saturday. We were going to relax by the pool... swim or float around by the pool all day... maybe play cards or watch tv or whatever we wanted... just - BE TOGETHER as a family relaxing all day. The for dinner the kids wanted something simple - pizza. I had offered to cook them whatever they wanted, but I had already made Kayte's favorite (Blackened Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo) on Wednesday, and Justin's favorite by far really is Pizza -- so Pizza it was going to be. Besides, it was supposed to be a relaxing day anyways, right?

Well, Mom was going to be late because she was with Tatiana at a tea party of some sort. Auntie Katie was late as she had to work. Amanda dropped Gene off at work and then came over mid-morning. A couple of the kids CLOSE friends came over. Nana and Papa came up about 1. But we couldn't find Julie. She was supposed to come over early... in the morning even.... but we couldn't find her.

Finally I got her on her cell and she tells me - in a SEVERELY slurred voice - that she is in the hospital because her head hurt from being hit way back when her boyfriend hit her in the head. Well, I immediately knew she was lying. First of all, she hadn't yet been seen and she was already SEVERELY slurring.... secondly - I could just tell she was lying. Badly lying. Julie told me she was at TGH, so I called my mom for help (who works at TGH).

Well, long story short - Julie wasn't at TGH, she was at University Community Hospital. A friend of hers found her in her room hallucinating with a nearly empty pill bottle of Ambien next to her. She went for help and took her to the closest hospital. She stayed in UCH ER all of Saturday and when I tell you Julie tried every way in the world to ruin our day on Saturday - I mean she tried every single way possible.

First of all, I wasn't going to even tell the kids until Sunday. It was, after all, Justin's birthday. How do you tell a young man that his mom tried to kill herself ON his birthday? I was just going to tell the kids that she was sick or something and just couldn't come... then tell them the truth on Sunday. But -- Julie kept calling phones. And calling.

And calling.

And calling.

And calling.

And calling.

She called the house. She called our cells. She called the kids cells. She called every number she could think of. When she got ahold of my sister Katie and thought she was talking to her daughter Kayte and started - in her horrible slurred voice - talking about all the medication she had taken, on top of the pot she smoked - and how horribly sorry she was.... I knew I had to sit the kids down and talk to them.

So I sat them down. Julie had apparently already talked to Kayla. All the kids were - of course - angry and upset. But we vowed to go on with the party and have a good day.

The remainder of the party, Julie continued to call. Cells, house phone, etc. Mom, Chris and I fielded most of the calls - telling her to STOP. I finally had to tell her that if she didn't STOP it - I would be forced to get a restraining order on her. She only called twice after that. Course, we also called the hospital and told them to take the flipping phone OUT of her ROOM!

Julie is now at St. Joes. I'm assuming she'll be out in the next day or two. Julie knows just what to say and do to minimize her stay. She reminded me today that she has been "so good for so long" and - she is right. But I reminded her that she can't just go from happy-go-lucky to swallowing a bottle of pills on her son's birthday because she can't afford her rent payment. It's just not right.

The main thing I keep thinking over and over again though is... how incredibly HAPPY the kids were all day and all night long. I mean, you look at the photos and such of the kids and you can NOT tell that they just found out mom just tried to kill herself. Why? Because they have FAMILY that TRULY loves them so very much. Supportive family. Each of you that are there for them... that mean so much to them. Because all their family has been there for them through all these times... they had a safe place to fall on Saturday and they didn't miss a beat!

I should really run... it's after midnight and I have to get up to work in the morning.

Please say some prayers for Julie and the kids.

And - by the way - I'm on my THIRD headache free day! It's amazing and I feel GREAT! I'm also down almost 20 lbs. I'm not really 'trying' but it's just, I guess, a side effect of not feeling all that well and eating only a little when hungry. I dunno... I'll take it.

Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional. Chili Davis

No comments: